Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Boot Scoot Boogie



Ah, fall! It's my favorite time of year. I love the crisp weather, and I love to wear fall clothes! I try to wear my browns, golds, and oranges often, because they don't always work as well in later winter and early spring. But the best thing about fall fashion is... boots!

We all love boots, right? And yet, it's a love-hate relationship. I have heard quite often that women have trouble finding boots that fit over their calves. And these are not big-legged women ("...ain't got no soul"?). I have rather slender legs and sometimes boots are too snug for me. Also, my daughter recently picked up a cute pair of western-style (not cowboy) boots that are great, except for one thing: they're a little snug at the top, which is mid-calf, and they evoke a little perspiration around there. Not too comfy!

So what's a normal-calved gal to do?

Well, I am the queen of Shop Cheap, Look Cute, so I have to say, start at Payless. I cannot say enough good things about Payless. They do a great job of rotating their collections often, so you can usually find something you don't have. Believe me, I am in there every week or two, so I know what they have, and I almost always find something new.

Naturally, Payless has low prices, good sales, and the frequent "BOGO" (buy one, get one half off--shouldn't that be "BOGO HO"?) events. You can also sign up for their email list, and they'll send you coupons for 15% or 20% off in between their sales. I seldom pay more than $20 for a pair of shoes there, and usually less.

Boots cost a little more than shoes at Payless, just as they do anywhere, but you won't pay $100 for boots there. Thirty-five to forty is the typical retail price range for boots at Payless. The black boot shown at the top of this post is the Nadia Tall Boot from Payless and is currently non-sale priced at only $29.99. Can't complain about the price.

But what about the fit? Fortunately, a number of boot designers have started adding in that little life saver that has made women slimmer for decades: spandex. Some boots have spandex or elastic panels and some have spandex in the material, even some materials that look like leather! Magic!

I know you're wondering, "What kinds of boots are in Susan K's Shop Cheap, Look Cute closet?" Sure you are! Well, I'm gonna tell ya: I own black, pewter, and brown boots in knee-high; brown croc, olive suede, dark red matte leather ankle boots; black patent and purple suede booties (up to the ankle); and for the first time in my seventh-generation-Texan life, I own three pairs of cowboy boots!

Oh, one word of caution when choosing boots: I know those certain boots are comfy--the ones that look sort of like tall house shoes, flat soles, lined with sheep's wool? But they are only appropriate on young women, and the younger, the better. So if you are a "woman of a certain age", like I am, skip the UGly boots and get some real woman's boots!

Until next time,
Susan K. Morrow

No comments: