Friday, October 23, 2009

It Is Better to Look Good than to Feel Good, Do You Know What I Am Saying to You?


And I thought I looked great yesterday! It's too bad you can't see all the way to my feet--hey, that's what I get when I take the picture by myself.

I wanted to tell you about this outfit because it cost very little and is flattering in several ways.

First of all, I got the blouse and skirt at New York & Co. I shop there a LOT. I mean, these people pretty much own me at this point. But it's a cheap own-age, because they offer such great deals.

If there is not a NY&Co. near you, check them out online: www.nyandcompany.com.

These two pieces are from this season, and come in other colors, so if you like them, you can still get them. (Sometimes, I talk about older things, so this is a treat.)

The blouse was originally $34.95 and is currently on sale for $24.46 (online price--in-store may vary). That's 30% off, which is what I paid for this top. However, I had a coupon, so my end-price was lower. I also bought this blouse in a gorgeous gold that flatters me, and I paid less than full price, again because of a coupon.

The skirt was probably $34.95 originally, although I am having trouble finding it online right now (look for it in the clearance section in stores); again, my coupon made it LESS. I bought it in two colors and LOVE it.

So that's the price info, let's discuss fit-and-flattery. If you read my post on colors, you know that I do not wear grey well--and this top is full of it! So how did I get away with that? Well, the multiple shades of turquoise, combined with black, gave me enough boost to overlook the grey near my face.

The blouse is actually a knit, although it doesn't really look like it, and has georgette at the neck and sleeves. It's gathered under the georgette neck, so it has some fullness in front, which is great for

a) a full bust
b) a small bust
c) a bit of a tummy

Really cute! It was a little cool yesterday, so I topped this with a topper in black nylon!

The skirt is a little big on me, but I like the cut very well. It's made of a heavy jersey knit, with a yoke but no waistband, so no added bulk at the waist.

A note about hem-lengths: We are so fortunate to live in a fashion age that allows all lengths! Aren't we grateful not to have to adhere to strict guidelines about skirt lengths that change every season? I wear most of my skirts at mid-knee, which is the most flattering length for most legs. This one is a little longer, and I decided not to hem it, because I like the 40's look of it, and it's still flattering to my legs as long as I wear high heels.

The skirt is also made with room for hips, which I don't have. But most women do, and this skirt will cling to your lovely little waist and flatter your curvy hips. If you are straight-figured like I am, this will help fill out what Mother Nature failed to give you. (In the picture, I turned my hips in model-pose, so you can't see the faux hips!)

I wore the outfit with charcoal grey textured tights and matte-black wedge pumps. Simple silver jewelry did not compete with the heavy pattern on the top.

Pretty soon, I want to talk about those coupons, at NY&Co. and elsewhere, store credit cards, and possibly... shoes at Target! Tune in next time when we Shop Cheap, Look Cute!

Best,
Susan K. Morrow

No comments: