Sunday, July 24, 2016

Let Me Tell You About This Skirt


I. Love. This. Skirt.

Let me tell you about this skirt. It  is nothing in the world but a pencil skirt made out of t-shirt material, got a little stretch in it, elastic waist, boom.*

You can see that it is cut in a curve, so it hugs your knees nicely--no kick pleat.

On my five-foot-three-inches, it falls about 5 or 6 inches below the knee, which is a flattering midi length.

I got the skirt at Wal-Mart for--get this--$6.88. I am crapping you negative. I actually started with a black one and loved it so much, I went back for the burgundy. They also have it in a couple of stripe patterns, a solid heather grey, navy, a black/grape check, and a blotchy grey/black.

I have styled the burgundy version with four different tops, for both summer and fall.

#1: with a "capelet" top from Cato
Outfit #1: I got this "capelet" top from Cato last year--or was it the year before? It probably cost about $17.99, but I don't recall exactly. I love it not only for going with this skirt, but also the fit and the style. It has a little bling sprinkled around the neck, so it can dress up or down. (I have two other tops that are a similar style, but widely different prints and colors--the style flatters me and is so pretty!) Here, I have put it with my little suede booties from Payless, purchased several years ago. (Remember to closet shop!)
#2: with a simple tank from Wal-Mart
Outfit #2: This simple striped top came from Wal-Mart this year, about $6 or $7. It's sailcloth, very cool, has a slight swing to it. Even with me being busty, it's flattering, and I can put a belt with it if I feel too "maternity" in it. I pulled an old bead Necklace of Many Colors out of my closet, and added black/white houndstooth pumps (Payless, of course, and btw, super-comf! I have two pairs in the pointed-toe, like these, and three pairs in the round toe version of the same shoe. The pewter ones in Outfit #3 below are the same style.).

#3: with a medallion print shirt from Cato
Outfit #3: I got this shirt at Cato last year to go with my pink stretch denim leggings (Wal-Mart, about $14), but it is perfect with this! I pulled the silver belt (Nine West, bought at Ross for $11) and pewter shoes for one look, grey sweater tights and suede booties for another. If I needed more warmth, I would add a grey or white cardigan and a pale pink scarf. Or maybe a grey scarf--I don't like to get too carried away with colors.

#4: with a large cat
Outfit #4: Outfit #2 combined with a large feline named Blue, who enjoys helping and making sure that I never leave the house without cat hair.

#5: with a 3/4 sleeve georgette blouse from
I don't remember, because I have had it forever!
Outfit #5: I have had this blouse so long that I don't remember where I got it or how much it cost. But you know me, I doubt I paid more than $20 for it. Maybe at JC Penney? Anyway, it has a lot of beautiful colors in it and I have paired it in the past with teal leggings and also with a long green linen skirt. It is fantastic with our new favorite burgundy skirt! Same silver belt as Outfit #3. With this one, I decided to go with flats. These patent mock-croc loafers in a color somewhere between puce and cordovan are perfect. The tailored style balances the boho softness of the blouse. And the low heel means added comfort if you're on your feet a lot or walking around all day--perhaps while Shopping Cheap to Look Cute!

Cheaply and Cutely Yours,
Susan K

No comments: