Saturday, November 21, 2009

Yes! Tuck It!


Ladies, the TUCK is back.

And I'm not talking about little strips of fabric sewn into a shirt. (But I reserve the right to post on those tucks in the future!)

I'm talking about tucking your shirt into your pants or skirt. Yes! We have not been tucking for several years now. I'm sure you remember, if you are over 15 years old, the days when everything was tucked in.

But for several years, all tops have been left untucked, even if their hems peeked out from under a jacket or sweater. Yes, even structured suits were often modeled with the blouse sticking out at the bottom. That's one look I didn't actually go for, but then again, when do I wear a suit anymore? I gave them up in the late 90s, along with pantyhose!

This season, the tuck is back! I like tucking in the top because it usually helps to define the waist and it looks tidy. Naturally, there are many tops--pullover sweaters, for example--that simply should not be tucked in, and it is still acceptable to have that shirttail peeking out. That's a very preppy look that I personally love.

But tucking in your blouse and adding a belt will accentuate a narrow waist and define a thick one. And the renewed style of tucking coincides with the rise of the waist on many pants and skirts.

I ran across this video that shows a lot of the renewed tucking style. It's a makeover from Chadwick's and The Balancing Act. It shows a 55-year-old woman who has been dressing sloppily for a while. The makeover brings her back to looking--and feeling--so much better! Check it out and notice all the tuckage!

Until next time,
Shop Cheap, Look Cute!
Susan K. Morrow

No comments: